"The Complete Encyclopedia of Chickens"

Got a recommended book for other chicken keepers - suggest it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Henwife » 26 Aug 2006, 20:22

Horses for courses - I've got a copy, but I rarely open it. The two books I use most are British Poultry Standards (expensive but accurate) and Diseases of freerange poultry by Victoria Roberts. A lot of my poultry books are fairly ancient, but I need up to date information on sick birds, ditto on British Standards, not because I want to show, but because I'd like to be pretty close to the standard if I'm breeding.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby Fenn » 26 Aug 2006, 20:27

I like this book, but I use it to get vague ideas as to what particular breeds are like - I don't necessarily expect it to be 100% accurate.
Like Pads said, I think it's perfectly serviceable as a basic beginner's book, which is the purpsoe for which I bought it :D

I'm seriously considering investing in the Breeds Standards book, as I'm interested in a variety of breeds. And I like reading :lol:
Fenn

Liked in: 1 post

Postby funky-chicken » 04 Dec 2006, 20:27

If you buy this book from Blackwells online you will get the latest edition, with the black cover. Others are still selling the previous edition.
funky-chicken

Postby Henwife » 05 Dec 2006, 22:06

Which means that the previous edition will be cheaper 2nd hand - I doubt the Stanards have changed, probably some new colours admitted to Standards.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Postby Fenn » 06 Dec 2006, 18:53

Are we still talking about the Encyclopaedia? Clucky's got the latest edition and I've got the old one - as far as i can see, they're absolutely identical inside.
Fenn

Postby Henwife » 07 Dec 2006, 12:15

Well, I was talking about Poultry Standards - I didn't think the new edition was out yet, so perhaps it's me and the sequence of posts.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Postby Tony Sirett » 24 Feb 2007, 16:52

just picked my copy up today, see you in a couple of hours :D
Tony Sirett

Postby mojo » 24 Feb 2007, 17:07

as british standards is quoted as expensive (how much?)is there a website to view before buying
Give a smile away every day to a stranger............and a hug to a friend
mojo
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Liked in: 25 posts

Postby Danny » 03 Apr 2007, 17:12

British Poultry Standards is listed on Blackwells @ £57.50, I believe it's around £42 on Amazon.

I Paid £30 for a secondhand one. And i believe the book is out of date as in my 5th addition the Barnevelder is not listed, but I understand that it now has a club standard.

The club should make new standards available free via it's web site but i don't think they do.

Dan
Danny

Re: "The Complete Encyclopedia of Chickens"

Postby dr_lukanov » 11 Jun 2010, 00:39

Healthy, I have this book:Complete Encyclopedia of Chickens (in German) and I think that is very good and meaningful with wonderful pictures. The names of the breeds there are according to German standards (BDRG end EE standard), which differs from the British poultry standart (Poland crested bearded meet Paduans, Poland crested nonbeards is Dutch crested, Yokohama is a separate breed, the European type Australorp significantly different from the English, etc. .). I strongly recommend books by David Scrivener.

Greetings from Bulgaria
Hristo Lukanov
dr_lukanov

Postby laffinfowl » 11 Jun 2010, 00:59

Welcome Hristo and how are things in Bulgaria? Do you keep a lot of poultry? :)
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 197 posts

Postby dr_lukanov » 15 Jun 2010, 09:54

Hello, unfortunately the poultry husbanding in Bulgaria is very weak, in contrast to neighboring Romania and Serbia. Since 2010 we have registered Bulgarian poultry association (Bulgarian association of poultry breeders), we strive to promote our hobby in poultry fanc in Bulgaria. Our goal is breeding more and more quality birds (it is no secret that most of the birds here are beyond any standards, very poor quality purchased by traders in the markets in Serbia, Hungary, Poland). There are certainly good birds, becoming more and more: this year for the first time in Bulgaria were introduced Serama, Barnevelder, Vorwerk, Bielefelder etc. .. Our other role is to maintain the two Bulgarian chicken breeds (Black shumen chicken and Stara Zagora red chicken) and one turkey breed (Nova Zagora black turkey), which have remained only about 200 breeding birds for breed.
Greetings from Bulgaria
dr_lukanov

Postby laffinfowl » 15 Jun 2010, 11:54

Hi dr lukanov,nice to hear you are all trying to improve your husbandry and stock,would it be possible for you to post some photos of your two native Bulgarian poultry and the turkey breed also,i think a lot of members on here would be interested to see what they look like and try to figure out what breeds they might have been derived from,nice to hear from youand hope you can post some photos. Greetings from Ireland. :)
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Postby dr_lukanov » 16 Jun 2010, 10:06

Hello, I'm very happy that there is interest in Bulgarian breeds, unfortunately they are not recognized by any standard. Here is a post with information about them in the forum:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26546
dr_lukanov

Postby laffinfowl » 16 Jun 2010, 10:53

Thank you,i am working my way through all the breed threads on the forum,lots of good information there about your breeds,hope all is well with you in Bulgaria,regards laffinfowl. :)
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Recommended Books