"The Complete Encyclopedia of Chickens"

Got a recommended book for other chicken keepers - suggest it here.

Moderator: Moderators

"The Complete Encyclopedia of Chickens"

Postby richard » 23 Oct 2005, 19:59

Excellent book for the novice. Lists 100 breeds with colour pics. Good section on breeding.
richard

Liked in: 1 post

Postby stephen » 01 Nov 2005, 21:32

Amazon links:

<iframe src="http://shop.thepoultrykeeper.co.uk/cgi-bin/ae.pl?iframe&asinsearch=9036615925" WIDTH=630 HEIGHT=300>
</iframe>
Stephen
stephen
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 96 posts

Postby fenwoman » 02 Dec 2005, 19:42

I have this book and although it is full of nice pictures some of the info is very misleading for novice people.
For instance. Page111 top picture shows a Barbu d'Anvers hen in millefleur, yet the description says "Antwerp Belgian hen porcelain".
Then on page 311 Polish bantams are called "Dutch crested" and on page317 still more 'dutch cresteds' and the colour chamoi is called 'yellow white laced'.
It is written by what appears to be a Dutch person and hence the misnaming. There are lots of odd breeds not seen here like the Bielefelder and several more.
Not a bad book but it would confuse a complete novice as I have found when people have phoned me asking for some of the breeds I have mentioned and totally confused me until I remembered the book. Upon asking they admitted that yes, they got their info from this book.
fenwoman

Postby richard » 27 Feb 2006, 12:12

I recommended this book and I must admit that there are problems with the names of breeds, probably because of the differences in Holland. Also, it seems to be aimed at the American market but when it comes to getting you started with things like type of housing, how much space you should have and feed & care for your birds, I found it extremely helpful. It's also helpful when choosing the type of breed that will suit you best.
richard

Postby fenwoman » 27 Feb 2006, 19:14

Hmm I would not necessarily agree about the last part of your post since I hgave had too many people phoning me for breeds I've never heard of, until they tell me where thay found the info. I bought a coipy of the book and was very disappointed. There is better information out there in English books costing less money and of course the internet too. It is a bad do when a potential customer tells me I obviously know nothing about poultry because I didn't even know that a black laced silver wyandotte was the correct term and not silver laced wyandotte, and since I had not got black laced silver wyandottes, but only silver laced, I didn't have what he wanted anyway.
I have a problem with people reading a book like this and being given wrong information since invariably they believe that if it is in a book it MUST be correct and I must be wrong.
fenwoman

Postby stuffed » 01 Mar 2006, 15:59

Well I have a copy for sale if anyone wants it after reading previous posts. I'd like to point out that I'm only selling it as I've had to give up the chooks.
:cry:
stuffed

Postby richard » 01 Mar 2006, 18:05

It's a really good book, I bet it would sell quick on Amazon
richard

Postby dan_didit » 13 Mar 2006, 00:35

I bought this book at the weekend - Yes theres a few mistakes, but otherwise I think it's great! :D

Dan
dan_didit

Postby RobMad » 20 May 2006, 17:47

Brilliant book - a good insight into different chickens. Well worth the money!
RobMad

Postby Spana » 20 May 2006, 22:22

I like it too and I had noticed it has some mistakes. I've bought two copies from Holsworthy market where its only £5.99, one for me, one for grandson who picks up my copy as soon as he arrives here.
Spana

Postby CP » 21 May 2006, 00:11

I bought this book for OH's Christmas pressie last year. :D

Jan, are you not far from Holsworthy? We know that area fairly well. My best friend lives in Pyworthy! :D
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Liked in: 166 posts

Postby Spana » 21 May 2006, 17:32

We go through Pyworthy on our way to Holsworthy :lol:

My OH calls Holsworthy 'The Centre of the Universe'. He dont get out much poor soul :lol: . You can buy anything there as long as you dont want choice. :lol:
Spana

Postby CP » 22 May 2006, 01:03

Ahhh, it's a lovely town, Holsworthy! :D
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Liked in: 166 posts

Postby Mikey » 06 Jun 2006, 16:59

I got this book last week and found it a very good and informative read
Mikey

Postby Clucky » 26 Aug 2006, 07:24

I now have this book after borrowing a copy off Fenn (the catalogue she calls it which is very apt) and I AM a novice. I look at it this way....with a forum like this 8) you can put me straight about the errors anyways. I like the book and on a novice's perspective, it gives you an idea of all the different breeds in the world....I never knew there were so many!
Clucky

Next

Return to Recommended Books