GENETICS of Chicken Colours the basics

Got a recommended book for other chicken keepers - suggest it here.

Moderator: Moderators

GENETICS of Chicken Colours the basics

Postby Wilt » 23 May 2009, 08:36

This is an A4 size hard back with 224 pages of easy to understand information, it takes you from the very basics all the way through to what to mix with what, to achieve what (If that makes sense?) It's not cheap but I believe worth every penny!

www.chickencolours.com

This is the cover

Then a few selected pages;
Chickens, are also food for the soul!

http://www.coachhousecochins.com
Wilt
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 16 posts

Re: GENETICS of Chicken Colours the basics

Postby cyberdave » 05 Jan 2010, 14:56

We have a local jewelry store that runs a radio advert: "Give a gift that lasts-say it with a diamond." Not being interested in precious stones I asked Santa for the book, 'Genetics of Chicken Colours' and there it was, beautifully wrapped under the tree on Christmas morn. I've had 62 Christmases and I can honestly say, with the exception of my first bicycle, this gift rates like a fine diamond. *The 'make' of a diamond refers to how well a stone is cut and faceted to bring out the full beauty of the rough crystal, considering also it's good proportions, symmetry, and polish. It is the diamond's unique combination of durability, rarity and potential beauty that makes it so valuable. My analogy of a diamond and this book should be quite evident, to those who have a copy.

As a retired educator & educational consultant, I would suggest making this a 'Must-Have' read for anyone involved with raising/keeping or showing chickens.

In the forward of 'Genetics of Chicken Colours', Paul Siegel *Department of Animal and Poultry Sciences-College of Agriculture and Life Sciences-Virginia Tech* so aptly states: "The genetics of chicken colours is actually like soup, every single ingredient influences all the other ingredients". I'm already rummaging through my barn and out-buildings, looking for used materials for the making of additional breeding pens.

I'd like to add another quote from the back cover of the book, which struck a cord with me. "The breeding of the various coloured chickens and knowledge of their genetic background has always been a sport for so called professionals. This knowledge was for the most part unavailable to the layman, not like a great meal, cooked and served in an appetizing manner. With this book that is now completely changed!”

I now have two fine reference books: the APA's 'American Standard of Perfection 2001' and my 'fine diamond' Christmas gift of 2009 ...'Genetics of Chicken Colours'.
Who knows, I may even give a ‘first-try’ of showing some of my chickens, in the future, at our local county fairs.

"For anyone interested the author can be contacted at blackdotte@hotmail.com."

Cyber Dave - USA
cyberdave

Liked in: 1 post

Postby tweedy » 05 Jan 2010, 16:02

Better sell some eggs i think . \:D/
tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby cyberdave » 05 Jan 2010, 17:16

tweedy wrote:Better sell some eggs i think . \:D/

Wondering why? ... to pay for?
Cyber Dave
cyberdave

Postby Magpie » 05 Jan 2010, 19:31

I bought this at the National show back in November - it is absolutely excellent :grin: The large number of photos really do help a lot when trying to work out what something will look like and the text is fairly straightforward and (with some exceptions for poor translation) is all in plain English.
Magpie

Return to Recommended Books