Calling time on the poultry

Anything totally off-topic and chatty can go here, without any worries.

Moderator: Moderators

Calling time on the poultry

Postby drfish » 27 Jan 2015, 11:16

After several months of weighing it all up, I've decided I'm going to have a break from the poultry. When I started all this, there was no plans for an extra ankle biter, so garden space and time was available. At the moment, I'm finding I don't have time (or inclination, to be honest) to do the necessaries to keep things in tip top condition, and it's all getting on top of me at the moment. The chicken pen needs a lot of work on it, I need to rethink the duck pen as it's a bloody mess all the time. I'm starting to get a rat problem too, as they have managed to nibble their way through my shed to live in there.

All the birds are off to live on a small holding with a guy at work (he's got about 7 acres of land, so plenty of space). He's already got about 30+ hens, 20+ ducks, and 3 geese, so he's by no means an amateur at what he does. He also has a huge pond as well, so that'll keep the ducks happy.

It does fill me a little with sadness though, but as said, I just can't give them what they want, and we're getting a little desperate for space again on the garden, what with swings, slides, trampolines etc. My garden isn't huge, and the birds do take up a good 3rd of it, so it would be good to reclaim that land for a while. Part of the issue as well is my neighbour (and good friend) has moved to a different area, so we don't have any available chicken sitters now for holidays and such. All other animals can be catered for, but not the poultry.

At some point I'll be getting rid of equipment, so I'll let you likely lot have first dibs on anything. It will be going quite cheap, so watch this space ;)

I'll still hang around here, you're not a bad bunch. :lol:
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

MamaOwl likes this post.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Re: Calling time on the poultry

Postby kated » 27 Jan 2015, 12:49

Very honest of you and the right thing to do in the circumstances. It's been several years now since I have kept poultry full time (I've hatched for daughter) and I still miss them. It's great to drop in here and get a "poultry fix"!
kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 82 posts

Postby organic chick » 27 Jan 2015, 13:20

A noble decision. Glad you will still be around though as your humour is appreciated. Hows the smoking going?
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser
organic chick
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 124 posts

Postby drfish » 27 Jan 2015, 14:17

The deadline is this weekend for the smoking. I've whittled it down to 4 a day now, so should be fairly easy to lose those. Don't think the missus will be quite as successful though :-)

She also just rang me at work to tell me she's found a cockroach in our bed (she's very insectobphobic), so she's probably having one right now to calm her down lol. I've got to move them out of our bedroom tonight now, which is a bit of a bugger as I don't really have anywhere warm enough to breed them (they were next to the airing cupboard so a steady 25c). Animals, bane of my life :lol:
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

ladyplumber likes this post.
drfish

Postby NannyP » 27 Jan 2015, 21:15

PLeased you're not disappearing and am thinking, "Why is he breeding cockroaches in the bedroom?" OMG
NannyP

Liked in: 246 posts

Postby crazypianolady » 27 Jan 2015, 23:49

Drat! I was going to ask you if I could have some eggs to hatch, in another few weeks!

Best laid plans, eh?
crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 142 posts

Postby ladyplumber » 28 Jan 2015, 01:53

This sounds like the best decision for you at the moment, and it sounds like your missus has quite enough to cope with what with your other menagerie ..... and yourself of course !!! :roll: :lol:
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington
ladyplumber

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby drfish » 28 Jan 2015, 09:56

crazypianolady wrote:Drat! I was going to ask you if I could have some eggs to hatch, in another few weeks!

Best laid plans, eh?

That shouldn't be an issue anyway Sharon. As I say, it's a guy from work, so he can always bring me some in. They won't be going for another few weeks/maybe a month or so anyway as I'm tied up with work at the weekends for the next few weeks. He lives in Retford, so they haven't got far to travel.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

crazypianolady likes this post.
drfish

Postby drfish » 28 Jan 2015, 10:06

NannyP wrote:PLeased you're not disappearing and am thinking, "Why is he breeding cockroaches in the bedroom?" OMG

They're for Bertie, the bearded dragon. Although I have now bred significantly more than he could ever eat. I've got a few thousand I'd say at a guess. And the older he gets the less protein he needs. I only feed him cockroaches once a fortnight now. But he does eat about 20 in one sitting, and they're about the size of your thumb :lol:

I'll video him in action and put it up next time I feed him ;)

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Postby Henwife » 28 Jan 2015, 10:40

A sensible decision. Once the disadvantages are greater than the advantages, it's time to call a halt. Perhaps you should consider another bearded dragon to keep down the cockroach numbers!
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

2 people like this post.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby NannyP » 28 Jan 2015, 10:57

drfish wrote:
I'll video him in action and put it up next time I feed him ;)

Oh good :-&

2 people like this post.
NannyP

Liked in: 246 posts

Postby drfish » 28 Jan 2015, 13:03

:lol:

I think I'm going to call time on any new (and often spontaneous) animal purchases. The tortoise and beardie can both happily go a week or two without food, but are also very easy to feed (both eat Asda fine cut veg mostly). The dog can either stay with the in-law (if she calms down a bit on the lead), or go to the kennels that conveniently across the road from me and ran by a friend. The cats are cats, they just need letting in and out every so often for a feed and a sleep. Like I said, the big blow really is having someone to watch them while we're away. We used to do a lot of weekends away but stopped that when I got the chickens, because that was about the only time I got to sort them out. Not so bad in summer, but this time of year, I just don't get a weekend any more.

I will almost certainly venture back down the poultry route in years to come. Once bambinos are less needy, and we're sat sunning ourselves in a beach front property in Barbados :mrgreen:

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Postby MamaOwl » 29 Jan 2015, 16:59

drfish wrote: When I started all this, there was no plans for an extra ankle biter

Are you PREGNANT!!!!?

Or is this A?

drfish wrote: I'll still hang around here, you're not a bad bunch. :lol:

Um... didn't I say? You're locked in... forever!!! mwahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

My Girls were murdered a couple of months ago... a stupid lack of communication between three of us in the house and the Sly One got in... we ran out at 3am when we heard the carnage and scared the Slies off but sadly the girls were all there minus a head :-(

I've said I'd like a year off to save up money to be able to cover their evening run and get an automatic pop hole... it was lack of shutting it that caused the murders... :crybaby:

So, March 2016 I'll be back to chooking... or that's the plan... I am of course already missing them terribly and thinking I might hatch some later this year for eggies next year!
Mum to 5, (youngish lol) grandmother to 2.
MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 219 posts

Postby drfish » 30 Jan 2015, 13:03

No, I'm not pregnant. Just fat.

I got the birdies at the beginning of 2011 and there was no plans for child number 3 at that stage. However, plans changed, and along came little miss Alexis, and now I'm in the current situation of less spare time and more garden space required, and as she's now toddling, she'll no doubt be out in the fresh air once the weather picks up.

I blame the missus personally. Not happy unless she's buggering something up. :lol:

As I say though, once the kiddies are a little older, and garden space is freed up again (i.e. I kick them out of the house to go and drink cheap cider in the bus stop), then I may well have poultry again, and be better armed for next time in terms of tried and tested methodology. I've rebuilt the chicken run 3 times in 4 years, and I'm still not happy with it. But then again, my craftsmen skills leave a lot to be desired.

:lol:

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

2 people like this post.
drfish

Postby CP » 01 Feb 2015, 12:15

Totally see your point but not sure I could do without my poultry fix! :thumbright:

Our 2 boys were more hands-on & interested when they were younger, they don't have anything to do with the chickens now. So you may be getting some more girls sooner than you think, if your children show an interest in something a bit more cuddly than bearded dragons, tortoises & cockroaches!!! :lol:
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

drfish likes this post.
CP

Liked in: 167 posts

Next

Return to George's Lounge